Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, IRS-certified volunteers prepare taxes and specifically look for tax credits the household may be eligible for, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), Circuit Breaker Tax Credit, and others. Utilizing the free tax preparation services allows families to retain their full refund, avoiding typical preparation fees which can often cost hundreds of dollars.
For 2023, WCAC’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program will operate between the last week of January, and the tax deadline of April 15th. Requests for free tax preparation by WCAC are accepted for individual taxpayers or households making $60,000 or less within Worcester and 45 surrounding towns in Central Massachusetts. Appointments for face-to-face tax preparation with IRS-certified volunteers will be available to book by preferred time slot beginning January 1st. Appointments will begin the last week of January and be held at WCAC’s new location at 18 Chestnut Street. (Please utilize One Maple Place in your GPS for VITA site entrance and parking.) A fully online tax preparation process is also available again this season should you be unable to come in person or prefer not to.
ALL IN-PERSON APPOINTMENTS HAVE BEEN FILLED. SATURDAY, APRIL 15TH LAST DAY TO DROP OFF YOUR DOCUMENTS TO HAVE THEM SCANNED FOR VIRTUAL PREPARATION. You are welcome to visit the site in-person without an appointment Tuesdays 4-7 p.m.; Wednesdays, 3-7 p.m., Fridays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. – 12 noon. Staff will scan your documents and arrange for you to work with a remote tax preparer in the days that follow. Please use 1 Maple Place, Worcester in GPS for WCAC’s VITA site entrance and parking.
If you are unable to schedule an In-Person appointment that works for you, you are welcome to visit the site in-person without an appointment only during the hours noted above. Staff will scan your documents and arrange for you to work with a remote tax preparer in the days that follow. Please use 1 Maple Place, Worcester in GPS for WCAC’s VITA site entrance and parking.
- Book your own in-person appointment online available after January 1st.
- Voicemails requesting an in-person appointment left at 508-754-1176 ext. 171 will be returned in late January when seasonal staff begin.
- If you prefer to submit and complete your VITA return online by working with a tax preparer virtually, a link will be available for GetYourRefund on January 31st.
- Questions about the program or appointments can be sent to
- Review what’s in scope for VITA returns and the list of documents you should bring with you to your appointment to prepare ahead of time.